Saturday, May 16, 2009

Will Picasa save my sanity????

I've just started using Picasa in an attempt to organize all my genealogy photos and images. I've tried using Picasa in the past, but didn't really like it. I couldn't seem to get it to do what I wanted, and it drove me crazy that it catagorized everything by date. I don't know what made me try it again, but I downloaded it, and set it to search only my genealogy folders. I then began entering tags to each photo and image. The tag I'm using in the person's RIN (Record Identification Number). Using Picasa I can search on an ancestor's RIN and find all the photos, certificates, newspaper articles, and census records for them.

So far things are going well. Of course...I did have to figure out how to get it to display even the small photos. By default it's set to ignore all photos/images that are 250x250 pixels (or less). Some of my images are pretty tiny. Anyway...I couldn't figure out why some of them weren't showing up. Once that was corrected (View, Small Pictures) things are going swimmingly. It's going to take a long (long...long) time to enter all the tags.

I have tried using other programs (like FastStone View), but it wouldn't allow me to add tags, comments to png images. I'm hoping Picasa will make it easier to find things. Especially since I have items in different folders (a folder for headstones, one for census, one for newspapers, and so forth). Will it save my sanity? Only time will tell...

2 comments:

Julie said...

I hadn't thought to add the RIN to the image's meta-data...I think I may go do that!! Thanks for the tip!

Anonymous said...

Precisely in the purpose :)