Friday, May 22, 2009

I can't believe it finally happened...

After years and years of research to find the parents of Cornelia Reynolds; I can't believe I finally found them! I had searched through census, vital, probate and land records, as well as historical and biographical books. All to no avail. I had worked through the pre-1850 census records and had narrowed down the possible father, but lacked a way to confirm my theory or to find the name of the mother (who died before 1850).

I had about given up hope. Then on a recent trip to the Family History Library in Salt Lake City, Utah, I found the confirmation I was seeking AND the name of the mother! Cornelia grew up in Hartwick, Otsego county, New York, and that was were I had concentrated my research. Who knew I would find the answer by researching one of Cornelia's siblings and that the answer would be found on the opposite coast.

So don't ever give up! Even if you think you have looked everywhere. Keep looking and digging. You may just find the answer in a place you least expect. And research those allied lines. At least in my research, it seems a better paper trail was left by the siblings of my ancestors than by my ancestors themselves.

Okay...now to tackle finding Cornelia's grandparents :-) That will probably take another 10 years.

3 comments:

Karren said...

I'm very disappointed that you don't see fit to share your newly aquired information with other searchers...After all, Horace and Cornelia are MY great grandparents also! You have asked me for all the information I have and yet you make no effort to share what you know.
You say you found Cornelia's family yet you didn't see fit to share this knowledge. Don't you think I would have shared this with you? After all we are family, COUSIN!

Family Attic said...

Karren...I did send an e-mail to you and Margy...the subject line said "Breaking News..." and was sent on May 22nd. The e-mail I had was "...sti.net. I never heard back. The e-mail indicated that I broke through the brickwall and was confirming that the e-mails were still good for you both. I'm surprised that you would assume I wasn't willing to share - I've shared everything in the past and knew how much you wanted to break through the brick wall too.

Karren said...

Hi Diane...

Sorry to sound so snippy...I was just apalled that you found the family and I didn't hear. I never got the e mail, and that is a good address for me... I just happened to stumble into this new site for you.

I went to the SLC lib. a few yrs. back, got sick and had to come home...so I made no headway...

Ok...Now I had gotten her to Hartwick along with Ellen, Jemima etc..but nothing further back. I got copies of the census but it was not much help...So would you be willing to tell me the line? Would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance for any help offered, and accept my apology for being cranky and jumping to conclusions of being excluded.

Karren