Friday, March 20, 2009

What will they think...

I've spent the last several days re-installing the Vista operating system on my computer and all my programs. Because of my computer's downtime I haven't had access to the internet. Well I had access...I just didn't have the time. Yesterday...when the re-install was pretty much complete, I logged on to my Facebook account. That had me wondering. Will future generations be able to search Facebook archives for their ancestors, much the way we search Ancestry.com for census records? Will they find these little glimpses of our day? You know...the "I watched" this...or "I ate" that. Will they see that I was battling with my computer? I have often thought that these "what I'm doing now" comments were mostly pointless, but now I'm rethinking that. What would I give to have little snippets of the day-in, day-out life of my ancestors? They would be such a treasure. Even if all it said was "I listened to this radio show," or "ate this meal." It would connect me to a little piece of them. I wonder if, some day, Ancestry will have Facebook archives to search (for a fee of course!)? Just a thought...

1 comment:

Lori E said...

What an interesting concept. I wonder...maybe I should be more careful about what I write on Facebook?
You have a very intersting site.